Skip to main content

Amnesty International Club meeting

Hello! Today on the Amnesty International Club meeting my friend Michał told us about Sarah Mardini and Seán Binder from Greece, who had been arrested and accused of 'people smuggling' after rescuing refugees arriving on boats. Now they risk facing up to 25 years in prison. During the Write for Rights we are going to write letters to Greek authorities demanding justice for these heroes. Sarah and Seán are not the only people in Greece arrested because they had helped refugees; however, they have become symbols of this issue and by fighting for their freedom we are defending the rights of other people in similar situations. In my opinion, letting refugees drown just because they might cause some problems for Greece if saved and punishing people who are trying to rescue them is not just a mistake - it is an unacceptable violation of human rights and an act showing lack of compassion and sensitivity. Although this is terrible, we don't usually talk about such situations. The vast majority of people aren't even aware that things like this are happening. Today, I realized that I knew very little about it and I decided to start reading articles on the AI website to increase my knowledge of the topic.


These are my friends and I on the Amnesty International meeting:

Comments